Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Hot or Not Double Header

Recently before the idea of this blog came up I tried a couple of wings places here, in and around Hartford, and sampled their hottest sauce on their boneless wings.

First up:  The Wood-N-Tap - Rocky Hill, CT

This place is not actually your everyday wing joint, it is more of a bar and grill type joint featuring the normal variety of bar food that you would find in any number of places such as this.  Here I ordered their Engine #11 Firehouse sauce on their boneless chicken tenders.  These wings claim to be habanero infused and boast a spicy and deadly kick that will leave "the roof of your mouth on fire".  Bullshit.  I whizzed through these wings as if I was eating kraft macaroni and cheese...you know when your taste buds say, "same shit different day...thanks for getting our hopes up Dave."  Even though the waitress at this establishment asked me "if I was sure that I could handle this heat", which gave me the hope that they would be using an actual fire hose to put out the fire in my mouth, these wings come up way short at a No. 3 on my scale.

And the evening starter is:  Wings over West Hartford - West Hartford, CT

"Wings over" is a chain restaurant group that specializes in what else but wings.  So instead of being productive and getting in my car to go try this place, I decided to phone in this order and let them fly their wings to me.  What I ordered was their DC-10, well over a pound of boneless wings (which I could not get anywhere near finishing) with the option to choose up to 2 flavors.  I went with their Jamaican Jerk, which was a delicious flavorful wing, but the real goal of my dining experience was to try their buffalo style wing entitled "The After-Burner", the hottest on their scale of 5 varying buffalo style sauces.  For some reason people in Connecticut must think I am crazy because the girl on the phone asked me, "are you sure you can handle that?"  Obviously they do not know who they are dealing with.  What I found with this sauce was a particularly flavorful and tomato-y sauce that provided a little bit of kick to what was a very enjoyable meal.  Not really going to burn your face off or even approach a 6 on my scale, but "After-Burner" comes in for a landing at No. 4 on my list.  Also if you have a chance to try wings, give their waffle fries a try.  I tried them with their delicious cajun seasoning, it was really good and great compliment to the wings.

All in all a valiant effort, but nothing has impressed thus far.  I can see, however, in the future some challenges and I am very excited to see what is out there to test my palette.  Thanks for reading.

David Riddile

No comments:

Post a Comment