Thursday, August 26, 2010

Indian Explosion...err or not.

Hello fellow spice seekers.  I apologize for my nearly two week absence, but I have been preparing for some lovely graduate placement exams at Hartt and have been sticking more to books than I have been enjoying spicy dishes around the area.  However, today I went with a few friends to India Oven, a small, family owned Indian restaurant that has received many accolades from several different publications.  India Oven offers authentic, delicious Indian cuisine at a reasonable price, in a location that is small and offers limited seating.  This visit I decided to try the Karahi Chicken, which you see in the picture.  The Karahi Chicken, I was told by the waitress, would make me sweat and be nice and spicy.  Well, the original dish that was brought to me was not what I expected.  It was flavorful, delicious, and certainly great authentic Indian food (here comes the big but),  BUT it was not spicy.  Luckily this seemingly experienced waitress must have sensed my distress and offered me some more of the hot sauce they combine into the sauce for this dish.  After adding the small shot glass of fire inducing sauce, I enjoyed the delicious dish with the added kick.  So this led to a dilemma for me when rating this dish.  Purely, as it is served it is no more than a 3.  The hot sauce I added was hot, but it was a building heat that became constant as you ate the dish and I would say this hot sauce by itself deserves a 5 because of its staying power.  So the overall rating, including extra hot sauce, is a definitive 4, but as it is served only a 3.  I am not, however, disappointed with this trip to the India Oven, as it did offer up a delicious dish and has potential to offer me a 5 or 6 straight up, possibly with some convincing of the staff to create such a fiery dish.  I highly recommend this restaurant and would ask you to join me in trying to push the proverbial heat envelope with the staff at India Oven.  As always thank you for reading and I encourage you to join my movement and begin your own search for spice.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment