Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Recipe for Spicy

Hello All,

I thought to add a little more to this blog I would present you with my two favorite salsa recipes.  One is for a Roasted Tomatillo Salsa and the other is for a regular old tomato based one with a lot of spice.  First up the tomatillo salsa.

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa:

Ingredients:
1 pound tomatillos, husked
1 white onion, peeled, sliced, and quartered
5 garlic cloves
2-3 Jalapenos, stems removed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 small lime, juiced

Directions:
Start by taking the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapenos and place them on a baking tray that has been brushed with olive oil (you can put a little on the vegetables if you like).  Throw that in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees.  Take the vegetables out and transfer them and any runoff into a food processor.  Add the cumin, cilantro, and lime juice to the mixture.  Then pulse mixture to desired texture.  I prefer this to be not overly chunky but definitely not the consistency of a smoothie.  So something in between will work quite nicely.  This salsa will be warm so make sure you keep your hand on top of the lid of the food processor as the heat will cause it to expand some.  You can either serve it warm straight from the food processor or let it chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Enfuego Red Salsa:

Ingredients:
1 pint of grape tomatoes
4-5 jalapenos, stems removed
1 habanero, stem removed
1/2 cup of diced onion
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (more or less depending on your cilantro preference)
1 small lime, juiced
Black pepper to taste
Chipotle chili powder, eyeball it (optional)

Directions:
Combine all items into food processor and pulse till desired texture.  Chill in fridge for a couple of hours.

Neither of these salsas are going to kill you with spice but I would rank the Tomatillo variety in between a 3 and 4 on my scale and the Enfuego Red in between a 4 and 5 on my scale depending on who you are.  So if you aren't a big spice fan maybe stick with the Tomatillo, which is a delicious and flavorful salsa.  Both of these salsas go great on top of tacos, with omelets, or even if you are feeling real crazy, with tortilla chips.  I hope y'all enjoy my recipes and enjoy these salsas.  As a bonus I have included my guacamole recipe to cool you off if needed.  It can be found below.  Thanks for reading.

Dave's Homemade Guacamole.

Ingredients:
4 Avocados
1 cup of diced tomatoes
2 jalapenos, seeds removed and finely diced
1/2 to 3/4 cup of diced onion
4 cloves of garlic, diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (more or less depending on your cilantro preference)
1 small lime, juiced
Cumin to taste
A turn or two of a black pepper grinder
Salt to taste
Teaspoon of chili powder(optional)
A quick dash or two of olive oil

Pit and scrape out using a spoon the meat of the avocado into a large mixing bowl.  Add tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, garlic, and cilantro into the avocado.  Mash and mix together using a fork, potato masher, wooden spoon, whatever you have handy.  Then squeeze in the lime juice and add the seasonings and olive oil.  Continue mixing till all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.  Chill in fridge or serve at room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't know Dave. I make my own salsas, and unless you drop some habaneros in there, I can't imagine the salsa could be really spicy. Now, if you did happen to throw in 2-3 habaneros... well then it might be a different story ^_^

    That's not to say they're bad recipies though, they sound real tasty! Keep up the good blogging!

    -Danny Beis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it is pretty spicy...but yeah on my own i usually add more jalapenos or habaneros...since it is kind of up to the eater as to what they want in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the two salsas yesterday. Pretty delicious.

    The tomatillo was awesome and I will make it again. Probably when I run out of what I just made... Put it on Fajitas and Nachos the next day.

    The Enfuego Red Salsa was pretty good. I thought it was a solid amount of spicy (5 jalapenos and 1 habenero). It was a little liquidy - was that just my own fault on the pulse?

    Thanks for the recipes! Good luck on the search.

    -Patrick

    ReplyDelete