Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Reasoning and a Few Guidelines

Hello All,

My name is David Riddile and I am neither a chef nor a cultured food critic.  I am simply your average 23 year old who enjoys good (hot) food and fun.  I recently moved from my birthplace Fort Worth, Texas to Hartford, Connecticut to pursue a graduate degree and found myself in a whole new world.  It is truly a cultural mecca being situated directly between Boston and New York City, and I have yet to experience all of the wonders this great area has to offer.  There has been something missing though and that is hot, spicy food that was a mainstay of my diet when I lived in Texas.  I have made due with your run of the mill jalapenos and an occasional habanero infused salsa.  So what I will set out to do is to find hot and spicy food that is both flavorful and extremely hot, but before the search begins a few guidelines.

The Guidelines:

I will go out and find food that claims to be hot and rate it using my own unique scale.

The Scale:

Food will be rated on my patented 6 point scale.

1.  Get Real - Devoid of spice and might as well be put in a food processor and put in a Gerber baby food jar.

2.  Weak Sauce - not flavorful, not spicy... Send this stuff back to the minors where it belongs.

3.  A Little Bit Hotter Now - Just like the really quiet part of the famed Temptation's song "Shout"... It leaves you wanting more.

4.  Heat Attack - Bold, flavorful food that has a good kick to it.

5.  2% Please! - As in there damn well better be a glass of ice cold milk or a loaf of bread or this is going to hurt for awhile.

6.  Ghost Buds - Excuse me, should my entire mouth feel like the seventh circle of hell?

Using this scale and probably a lot of Tums along the way,  I will now set out to find the best and spiciest food available in this new land.  Along the way please feel free to suggest to me places to try and if you feel that there is a true 6 out there let me know.  I hope you enjoy the journey and I look forward to the challenge, and as always thank you for reading.

David Riddile

No comments:

Post a Comment